The Salvage Awards is Australia’s first dedicated initiative recognising and celebrating the food waste innovations of young people.
The awards are a great way to:
- Raise awareness of your achievements across Sydney and New South Wales
- Showcase your work to local and national media
- Provide you with valuable opportunities to build your network and find potential funding streams
This project is in partnership with the City of Sydney and Pocket City Farms. It includes an application process, judging panel and an awards night on Thursday 21 November to celebrate the finalists and winners.
Nominations for 2019 are now closed and the ceremony was held on Thursday 21 November. Click here to see who we crowned as our 2019 winners!
Award recipients will receive a framed award certificate and professional development or mentorship opportunities relevant to their award category.
This category recognises a young person (aged 18-35) who has developed or is working towards a commercial business opportunity or social enterprise that works to address food waste in Sydney / New South Wales.
Young student champion
This category recognises a high school, TAFE or university student studying within Sydney or New South Wales that is making a contribution to address Australia’s food waste problem either through or outside of their studies.
Young community champion
This category recognises an individual working within their community (i.e. local community, business/workplace community, specific group/collective) to tackle food waste, either independently or through a collaborative initiative.
This category recognises the leadership and contributions made by a young person who works through social media platforms to bring awareness to food waste and/or engage and inspire other Australians to reduce their food waste.
- Be aged between 18 and 35 (at the closing of the nomination period)
- Have made or be making a contribution towards addressing food waste (paid or unpaid)
- Have their activities based in Sydney or New South Wales
- Provide at least one referee for the nomination
(250 words max for each criteria)
- Who are you and why are you passionate about food waste?
- What is your initiative and how does it tackle food waste?
- To date, what have been the outcomes or impacts of your initiative?
- Provide some examples of your recent activities.
- Who or which organisations have been critical to supporting your program / achievements?
- What are your future goals and ambitions?
Judging and announcements
Applications for The Salvage Awards will be assessed by a panel of guest judges with a range of experience and knowledge in the food sustainability space and the challenges facing Australia and the world – meet them here! Finalists will be invited to The Salvage Awards night on Thursday 21 November at Pocket City Farms in Sydney. The winners will be announced on the night and on YFM’s online channels.
Nominees will be assessed by the guest judge panel on the following:
- Relevance to the award category and quality of the application
- The level of contribution and impact made towards addressing food waste in Australia (direct impact and broader influence)
- The level of innovation and creativity of the nominee/initiative
- Degree of leadership shown and/or working as a role model for others
|Monday 30 September 2019||Applications open|
|Friday 1 November 2019||Applications close – 11:59pm AEDT|
|1-13 November 2019||Judging period|
|Thursday 14 November 2019||Finalists announced|
|Thursday 21 November 2019||The Salvage Awards night|
Image credit: Marta Mandryto